Information for Our Patients Under 18
There are a few more steps that a patient under the age of 18 needs to take to receive abortion care. Please feel free to call us at 703-532-2500 and ask to speak with a health educator. They can walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
- Questions & Answers If I Am Under 18
- “Mom, Dad, I’m Pregnant” – resources for teens and their parents
Questions & Answers If I Am Under 18:
- You are married or divorced; or
- You are on active duty in the US Armed Forces; or
- You are willingly living separate and apart from your parents with your parents' consent; or
- You have a court order of emancipation
- Get consent of one of your parents, your guardian, custodian or loco parentis; or
- You can meet privately with a judge who may authorize the abortion without your parents' consent.
- If one of your parents, guardian, custodian or loco parentis can come with you to Falls Church Healthcare Center: they simply will complete and sign a “consent authorization”, a form we can provide, and have it notarized by one of the notaries we have on staff. The Notary will require a valid photo ID from your parent/guardian.
- If one of your parents, guardian, custodian or loco parentis cannot come with you to Falls Church Healthcare Center: they will need to print out and complete the following Consent Authorization Form (English / Español) and have it notarized. The notary will require a valid photo ID from your parent/guardian and may require proof of identity from you. Please bring the notarized form to your appointment.
- In DC: there are no parental consent or notification requirements.
- In MD: it is required that the physician notify a parent. The law allows the physician to waive notification if it would lead to the minor being abused, if it would not be in the minor’s best interests, or if the minor is mature.
We suggest reviewing the following resources:
“Mom, Dad, I’m Pregnant”