Excellent resources for General Women’s Health
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Resource Center (202) 863-2518
- Healthy Women: Informed Empowered – Your Source for Women’s Health Information
- WebMD Women’s Health
- Your Menstrual Cycle. How It Works, How to Manage It [pdf]
- Feminist Women’s Health Center also in Spanish
- Heart-to-Heart. High Blood Pressure. Talk About It [pdf]
Recognizing a Stroke
Neurologists say if they get to a stroke victim within 3 hours they can totally reverse the effects of a stroke. The key is getting a stroke recognized and diagnosed.
Remember these 4 steps: STRS
- S – Ask the individual to SMILE
- T – Ask the person to TALK and speak a simple sentence coherently, like “It is sunny out today.”
- R – Ask him or her to RAISE both arms
- S – STICK out your tongue. If the tongue is ‘crooked’, or goes to one side or the other, the person may have had a stroke
- If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.